Why "The Platypus"?

12:16 AM by Travis

So, a good while back, I accidentally picked up the nickname "The Platypus". In the beginning, I was totally baffled by this, but I soon realized that people were just confused by my deviant art handle. Now, I'm totally into it! I love being called the platypus because really, think about the creature itself. It may be a weird lookin' bugger, but it's great because it's made of so many other creatures. Just like I am! I'm so many different things rolled into one artist. I love fractal art, it's such an incredible medium that's full of life and great depth. I also enjoy abstract painting and sometimes writing. I'm a creature of many parts. Ok, yeah, really, enough about me. I'm here for the art!

My first love is Apophysis. It's been labeled as my specialty by some friends and peers and I think I agree.

This is my piece Brutality. It was created using Apophysis ver. 2.09b.
Very often, I name the piece after it's "finished". To me, this felt like some kind of inglorious movement or something harsh and obtrusive.

A little recently, I've started experimenting and using Ultra Fractal. I find it a fascinating program and definitely one worth working with.

My piece Mermaid's Deception created with Ultra Fractal 5.

More often than not, I play and work with a piece until it feels right to me. This can take anywhere from an hour or a few minutes to an afternoon or up to a few days or a week. I have had longer experiences with a piece, but very seldom. This piece actually took quite a while to form and take the shape as you see it now. Because it continually looked beautiful, but lured me in and then disappointed me, it really earned its title.

Not too long ago, my aunt had introduced me to these wonderful inks that she was using to paint dominoes that she would use in her jewelry pieces. Well, after I got my hands on them, you'd never know they were the same thing.

My piece,The Garden Burning, created using Adirondack® alcohol inks on the backs of dominoes.

I love the way these inks work and the stuff I can do with them is pure inspiration in itself. I really don't know what to say about this piece. I was just so inspired to create something that I just went which ever direction the inks went.

So, there we have it, a brief introduction into the art of the Platypus!
Certainly, if wish to see more, you can very well check out my portfolio at Travis's Portfolio.

Posted in , , | 0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment