Why fractals?

2:05 PM by Chris Oldfield

I was first introduced to fractals in a general sense, in the form of microcosmic and macrocosmic thinking. I was fascinated. The idea that miniature creatures explored my body the same way I did my own evironment was deliciously interesting.

Groups of them, like the people buzzing about me, diligently fulfilling the variables that govern their existence.

It wasn't until a few years later that I encountered my first julia set. It was hanging in one of those, out of the box, science stores you often find at the mall, and looked very much like the image below.



The collections of toys, geodes and plasma balls could not sway my gaze. It took a few moments, but I realized it was a visual guide of sorts, to one of my greatest fascinations. Shapes, made up of like shapes, made up of like shapes, each with their own slight variation, wandering off to find infinity.

It wasn't until much later that I encountered fractal art. While I find fractals intrinsically beautiful, the concept of making them more so, was still unknown to me.

As our knowledge of fractal mathematics, and the software to manipulate it evolves, the ability to beautify them does as well.



Where once we were limited to a single layer, or single formula, we are no longer. Combining fractals and other elements in accordance to one's vision is not the arduous task it once was. It is now possible to add borders, accents, texture, lighting and other elements.

The possibilities are quite exciting...



..and in a universe literally steeped in recursion, who am I to deny possibility?

-Chris

Posted in , | 0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment